Tuesday, August 13, 2013

Death Penalty


Author of “Everything’s Bigger in Texas” recently blogged about the current issues with the death penalty in Texas. The death penalty has been in the news lately because of the recent milestone mark of the 500th execution in Texas. 

The author poses the question, do two wrongs really ever make a right? Personally I am in agreement with the death penalty for several reasons. However, I do not think that two wrongs make a right but I do believe in justice and karma. Although the death penalty is cruel in that a person’s life can be taken away, why should we allow them a life in prison as an alternative? In a sense, we are paying to house and feed these criminals who might have harmed our loved ones. This is something I struggle to understand when people make the argument that legal injections should be taken out of the picture and a person who has murdered should just be give life in prison.

The author also argues about the system and how consistent it really is. I agree with her about the system not always being consistent and possibly slightly biased depending on the case. However, not every system will be perfect and if this is the case, does it make sense to keep a not so perfect system when human lives are at stake? Although I previously stated my support for the death penalty, I still question various aspects of the law and how it is being applied in our society.


No comments:

Post a Comment